Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Current Obsession: Downtown Houston

Since I work downtown, I've become pretty familiar with the downtown area and "all it has to offer" (read: not much) OR SO I THOUGHT!

Saturday night was my friend Sarah's birthday, so we decided to try downtown for the evening. Started off with (what else) Mexican at Cielo's Restaurant on Main Street. From there, we did a "Main Street Crawl" and just went in to every place we thought looked neat. Some were hits, some were misses. Some were....kind of creepy.

Here are a few of the places we went, according to my debit card:

Martell's Video Lounge - this was a more "urban hip hop" type of place, and since we ARE in "Screwston" we were eager to check out the rap videos and the crowd. Besides us, I think I counted 4 other people in the whole place, but it WAS early (only 11, peeps!) but we were jammin along to the tunes. Perhaps in a quest to please the audience, they began playing some Miley Cirus. We left promptly.

notsuoH - For the extremely bright, you might realize that this is Houston spelled backwards. Took me a while to get that. I mean, how do you even pronounce that? Why don't they just call the place Houston Backwards? The place looked awesome from the outside. I didn't step a foot inside because they had clowns EVERYWHERE! According to the door woman/man (not sure) it's a collection of local artists works and this month/quarter just so HAPPENED to be clowns. Imagine the irony. I look forward to going back when it's less creepy.




Dean's Credit Clothing - I wasn't really sure what was going on here. It was a tranny photo shoot, fashion show, movie premiere, clothing store all in one. I was fascinated. It somewhat reminded me of NYC's Lower East Side. Very artisitic people, very gritty. They have movie premiere's every now and then, and actually have one next Friday. I was a fan of those place.




Puerto Rican Bar - No idea what the name of this place was. I do know that the 13 year old doorman chased us down the street for us to come in, so we obliged. Fun dance floor, fun music.

We finished the night off at a good ole fashioned pub. After a night out of our element, it was nice to sit back, drink a Guiness, and harass the doorman.

What's YOUR favorite downtown place?

No comments:

Post a Comment