Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Movies vs. Books

I finally got around to watching "Water for Elephants" this weekend. It was a somewhat begrudging watch since a) I never think the movie can be as good as the book; 2) they have the vampire from the Twilight movies as the main actor, assumingly to appeal to the tween audience who would see him in a silent film about ants; and c) it also had Reese Witherspoon. Isn't she at least twice the age of Edward Robert Pattinson?? I'm not bashing those 2, all I'm saying is that I don't think they are good actors. In case you're wondering, I gave it 2 stars. I know, I'm one tough cookie.


After I watched it, I realized that I have NEVER liked a movie that was based on a book. I have enjoyed them, but I always seem to compare it to the book the entire time, which I'm sure is not annoying to those watching it with me....

I like to create the imagery and the characters in my head. In my mind the character should look a particular way, so when I see  them on screen the imagination aspect is a bit lost in it. For instance, I've never seen any of the Harry Potter movies, but I have read 4 of the books. So when I saw a preview for one of the movies and Professor Snape didn't have the bald head and long, pointy nose like he did in my mind, I was confused.

To give you an idea of just how many books have been made into movies, check out this list. I'm sure it's not a complete list, but a good start.



Am I just weird? (Don't answer that). Does anyone out there prefer the movie over books these days?

1 comment:

  1. I have a strong dislike of movies based on books as well. Especially this one (hoe can you not have al in the movie??) And Mr. Poppers penguin ( the only thing similar is the title!)

    ReplyDelete