Thursday, October 20, 2011

Adventures in Healthy Eating - Round 3

I wouldn't say I ENJOY cooking. But I will say that I tolerate it. I'm one of those people who has to follow recipes exactly. I mix up my meats. I over-garlic or over-salt pretty much everything. And what the heck is "to taste"?? Too much freedom! Even then, I still like to try new things. I recently tried spaghetti squash to replace regular spaghetti (win), brussel sprouts (fail) and most recently, cauliflower mashed potatoes!

I've been on this no-carb kick for the past week. It started when I realized I hadn't eaten carbs for 2 days and felt I had much more energy and was much less sluggish during the day. So I decided to keep at it as long as I could. A week strong, and still no bread, pasta, rice, pizza crust, chips, muffins, or any other processed grain stuff (is that the technical term?) I'm feeling good, but what I wouldn't give for a whole loaf of soft Mrs. Baird's bread right now...we'll see how much longer this lasts.

So, with a pork tenderloin I decided that mashed potatoes would go well. But, no carbs for me meant I had to change it up a bit. This is yet another recipe from friend and healthy chef Lindsey Crouch.

I was surprised at how good they actually were! The only problem I had was that they were too garlicky (SEE!) and too whipped, but that's my fault because my food processor only has 1 speed which is TURBO KILL. Overall, I thought they turned out well and would definitely have them again!


And, it wouldn't be an evening at Casa de Schwartz if I didn't set off the fire alarm and break the glass globe that goes on my fan. DOH!

Shard of glass in my shoe. Nice.

1 comment:

  1. "I had much more energy and was much less sluggish during the day" ... and hot flashes.

    ReplyDelete