I've been hearing a lot about spaghetti squash lately, so I wanted to try it out. Luckily, one of my friends and old college roommate is a chef specializing in healthy foods, so I took a stab at one of her recent posts (you can find other recipes and some videos on how to cook them on her blog: http://www.lindseycrouch.com) Hi Linds!
The idea behind this dish is to remove the processed carbs (pasta) from a casserole and replace it with spaghetti squash. I was really hesitant about this. I mean, removing my beloved pasta and replacing with a vegetable!? Unhearf of! But, I'm happy to report that it tasted AMAZING and tasted just as good as leftovers! I can't wait to try more recipes using spaghetti squash! Thanks to Lindsey for providing awesome recipes like this! Next up is the salmon and brussel sprouts...that's right...brussel sprouts!
Here's the easy steps for spaghetti squash chicken casserole:
1) Roast the squash. It has seeds, so you'll have to spend some time removing those. After you roast it, you literally pull it apart with a fork. I was giddy at how much it actually looked and felt like real spaghetti and how fun it was to pull apart!
2) Gather other ingredients (also pull up her website to follow the directions)
3) Combine them all in a casserole dish, tell your boyfriend to stop asking "is it ready yet?" every 4 minutes, and bake for 45 minutes.
4) Enjoy!
My only edit to this is I would use a little less cheese than it called for. The parmesan is an oily cheese so 5 ounces would probably be plenty. I can't believe I'm saying this, but healthy food can actually be tasty!
Jess! I love this! I can absolutely see you getting excited about the spaghetti squash roasting into noodle-like strands!!! I want a pic of your excitement next time you discover a love about healthy cooking!!! :)) Not to compare myself to Julia Childs, obviously there is only the original!, but we almost have a little Julia & Julia thing going on here!!! Can't wait for your salmon and brussels sprouts adventure!!! xoxoxo
ReplyDelete