Anyways, I've done some spin classes and done a few loops at Memorial Park, but no real road cycling with a group, so I decided to participate in the organized rides with the Schlumberger Cycle Club. Nothing like waking up at 5:45 on a Saturday to cycle 32 miles! Oh yeah, there are major hills, but let's forget to tell Jessica that park, mkay?
At one point we were going 6 miles an hour up a hill. 6. Miles. Per. Hour. It's amazing I didn't fall off.
The good part was I was done by 11, burned major calories, and had the whole day ahead of me! Then on Sunday, I had a 3 hour safety training course. This is where they teach you the "rules of the road" such as calling out (car back, slowing, stopping) all designed to try to avoid a crash. Which I've heard is inevitable. So, something to look forward to!
Cycling has been a fun sport to take on. I despise running, so this is another cardio alternative. Here are some things people don't tell you about cycling in case you're interested:
1) It's expensive. Really, really expensive.
2) Not everyone looks great in spandex (actually, no one really does)
3) You will fall
4) There are 60+ year old men who are in WAY better shape than you are
5) The cycle community is SUPER friendly and always willing to help you out with anything on your bike, along a ride etc. We have a great cycle community here in Houston.
2 months to go until the big weekend! Looks like this will be my life for a while...
By the way, if you would like to donate to my fundraising goal, please feel free to do so here :)


Need.Moar.Updates.
ReplyDeleteGood luck at the races!
ReplyDeleteoh... wait.