So, I packed my backpack and made the short 2.5 hour flight to San Salvador, El Salvador
Luckily, I knew enough Spanish to get by. I found it interesting that although it's considered a third world country, they use American money and have American outlets.
El Salvador has been known as an unsafe tourist destination (not known to me at the time of flight, it was on the Department of Homeland Security's Do Not Fly list.) There is supposedly a big gang presence of the MS-13 or something but honestly, any big city has this, you just have to be careful where you go. It didn't hurt that on every corner in San Salvador there were 2-3 armed gars with machine guns. A slightly different image than in the villages where everyone carries machetes:
We drove. A lot. I should never be trusted with a map. Google maps didn't work that well. Frustration ensued.
The trip was filled with lots of adventure: zip-lining, hiking, horseback riding, more hiking, tour of a coffee farm, artistic towns, MAJOR HIKING, meeting people from all over the world and practicing my Espanol.
I'm smiling because I'm still attached to the zipline even though there is duct tape holding it together.
El Salvador traffic jam.
I've only been to 12 countries but I feel like with every one, I take away a unique experience. Central America was definitely an interesting trip and I'm looking forward to returning!





No comments:
Post a Comment