Thursday, March 22, 2012

What's in Juan's Window?

Juan has finally updated his window display from his "Ode to Homies." I saw him admiring his handiwork the other day, but when I saw what was in the window I thought, no way that's complete, the bricks are probably just stands for his other items. Welp, I was wrong. Here I present to you Juan's "Ode to Bricks" and we make a startling discovery: I found out his full name and birth year!

Side note: sorry for the bad quality. I didn't want him to catch me taking photos of his display (although I'm sure that's the purpose of it)

Ode to bricks, with a letter on the left outlining the stories behind all of the bricks 
(oh yes, they all have their own stories.)

 Houston brick:
Juan Sanmiguel - the most interesting man in the world!

In case you're bored (and interested)...here is what his letter posted in his window says. I can't make this stuff up.

****
My current window display shows 6 bricks from my brick collection...and an old family iron...

From your left
1. An original brick from the house Jefferson David lived the last 12 years of his life. Beauvoir was the name of the hosue in Biloxi, Mississippi. The house was severely damaged in Hurrican Katrina. The brick was a gift to me for having raised funds to restore the house. It opened last year...!The library, nex to the house, may open later this year.

2. A brick with the word Mexico. Its rare because of the large letters, it was made in Mexico in the 1920s-1930s for use in Houston (pride was put in every brick)survived the demolition of the building it was used at. This brick was not resused, but saved by someone who later gave it or sold it. I found it at a local antique store years ago.

3. An original and very rare brick with the word "Houston". Thisbrick was used on the streets of Houston from about late 1935 to 1950s and late 1960s, depending on where the street was. In the middle to late 1970s all bricks on Houston streets were replaced with concrete or other materials (the return of the brick to downtown Houstno streets, started about 10-15 years ago...for nostalgia reasons) Before 1935, most streets had stones or wooden bricks, yes "wooden bricks." According to the Houston Chronicle of early 1935, rain fell on Houston for 40 days and 40 nights..of course there were floods all over the city...and guess what, the wooden bricks started floating everywhere, causing muddy conditions, which added to the trauma the city was having. I have seen those wooden bricks in photos only.

4. A brick with the word "Texas" on it. Again, the pride the company which did bricks would display it on the brick as a symbol of quality and trust. Its made of a very heavey material, suggesting it was for a street or sidewalk or exterior wall of a building (not a house).

5. This brick has my name and my birthdate. Its a copyof another one like it in the Olympic Square in Atlanta, Georgia. The 1996 Olympic Games were held there that year.

6. A print showing a brick, again with my name and birth date...this ons is at the Prairei Street side of Minute Maid Baseball Park here in Houston.

7. A small dark blue tile. This piece of tile is from the Old Gulf Printing Co that was on Allen Parkway. Today, the same location has a tall luxury condominium and is 2 blocks from my apartment.

8. An iron...called sad iron...
This iron was used by my relatives for many years. Most irons had a number. This one is #7 Most manufacturers used a different number to distrinugish them from other companies.

...Thanks, Js

1 comment:

  1. Any guy with a last name like that deserves some bit of praise. Mainly because.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Miguel_Brewery

    ReplyDelete