Monday, June 6, 2011

Adventures in Slow Cooking

I'm going to skip over the fact that I didn't post about my recent adventure in the kitchen: wine marinated steak. For some reason, it just didn't turn out the way I expected. Methinks this cooking thing and I just don't get along. So I've decided to try something somewhat different...slow cooking! Since my quick cooking capabilities seem to be lacking, I'm hoping this catches on.

I decided to take the plunge after I smelled a delicious dish being warmed up in my office's kitchen today. When I asked the woman what it was, she went on about how easy it was because she loved her slow cooker, so I decided then and there that I wanted one too (I'm easy to convince).

After reading a lot of reviews online (I'm a very cautious buyer) I decided on the Hamilton Beach Set n Forget 6 quart slow cooker:

Anyone have any experience/recipes to share with me and my new purchase??

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jess, it's Em (can't figure out how to post, other than anonymously??)! I love my slow cooker - it's so easy! I actually just got a new recipe that my cousin had been raving about on Facebook forever! It's for shredded beef tacos...

    2 – 3 lb Top Sirloin, cut into small chunks
    1 large onion, chopped
    3 TBS oil
    2 serrano chilies, 3 garlic cloves and 2 dried guajilla chiles, ground up
    3 garlic cloves - I pulled them out after they cooked
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup water
    2 Tbsp Taco seasoning

    Brown meat and onion in oil. Transfer to slow cooker. Add chilies, garlic, salt, and water
    Cover. Cook on High 6-8 hrs. note: 6 ½ - 7 hrs works best.
    Pull meat apart with two forks until shredded
    Serve with fresh tortillas, salsa, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and guacamole.

    This shows my tweaks on the recipe, but you can really do whatever you want. After cooking for 5 hours, the meat was pulling apart. I shredded it and then put it back in the slow cooker to soak up the juices...after about 30 minutes we ate. YUM!

    ReplyDelete